Tuesday, May 17, 2022

Edward The Black Prince



For this post I’m only doing a small update. I’ve been busy with some non-history related painting, but with this out the way I can now concentrate on my principle painting love. I have got a new project in mind, so hopefully the next post will be a little more substantial.

For todays post I’m showing off my work on one of the new(ish) Claymore commands, this time Edward Woodstock more commonly known by his nickname the Black Prince. The interesting thing about this particular model is the use of the Crest on his helmet. From what I understand reading the Osprey book ‘The Armies of Crecy and Poitiers’ no one is sure if these were worn in battle, this is based on the fact they are not generally depicted in illustrations of battles from the period. I can understand the case for why not, they may have been impractical and added weight to a helmet hindering movement. That said I would have thought the wish to be more easily identifiable to your men combined with the shock value would have meant they were not unattractive to consider wearing. From what little I can gather it seems probably they were not worn, but as I said this is not certain. So while it is a little historically questionable, Claymore are not operating in the realms of complete fantasy, and given it made the model more interesting to paint I have no complaints.

It was overall a fun little job and while the Coat of Arms was tricky it made the overall outcome more satisfying.  The other two models represent part of his retinue, with simplified outfits corresponding to the basic colours of the Coat of Arms.

The Black Prince certainly ranks amongst the most impressive of the senior English nobility during the earlier period of the Hundred years war. He cut a fine career being present at Crecy, leading the army at Poitiers, commanding Chevauchees and a victory at Najera among much more besides. So quite the life even if it was cut short in his 40s by dysentery, denying England what would have no doubt been a fine king.

One of these days I’d like to visit Canterbury Cathedral to have a look at his effigy and the various artefacts of his that remain there (I think his jupon, gauntlets, helmet and shield are still there). So well worth a visit if you have a burning interest like me.   


The Black Prince, note the shield which uses transfers from Claymore by Little Big Men Studios and  Flag by Flags of War.


The Coat of Arms for the Black Prince would have mirrored those of the Kingdom, differenced by 3 points Argent (the white bar with three points), which were used to distinguish the English Prince from the King in Heraldic terms.








1 comment:

  1. Really great work mate, he looks superb. Ready to earn his spurs at Crecy!

    ReplyDelete