Sunday, October 20, 2019

Mounted Commands



I’ve put together a few mounted command basis for my hundred years war collection. It includes Joan d’Arc, the Bastard of Orleans and La Hire.  These are all characters I’ve done foot commands for already for different purposes, but I just wanted mounted versions partly because I had the miniatures to do it and for versatility reasons. 

The main characters come from a set of three by Perry, and the standard bearers are from the plastics set. I did consider having them all on one base, but thought it would ultimately be more useful keeping them separate.

They’re great miniatures, but the Bastard of Orleans character was a challenging painting job I have to admit, mainly because it’s quite difficult to pick out the details on his coat of arms. However I think he turned out ok and I’m quite happy with the result. 

All the mounted command units together.

Joan D'Arc points the way. It's a solid piece miniature with the horse and character attached, which is restrictive in many ways, but does mean you get a more unique pose.

La Hire ralies his troops. His horse was a little on the low side so I had to insert a small layer of plastic sheet underneath to help raise it up a little.

Batard d'Orleans. I picked a slightly more heavily armoured standard bearer for this one as I anticipated that as a more substantial noble he'd have better equipped followers. You can't really see it here, but I tried to have a stab at making his horse a Dappled Grey with passable results.

Same character from the other side, I really enjoyed the barding on the horse it was a joy to paint.

5 comments:

  1. Nice looking set of commands. Did you make the flags?

    I do get tempted by wanting to game Orleans, well all of Joans stuff really, but been able to resist so far....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Maurice, the Joan d'Arc standard is from a Perry box set and the other two are Freezywater flags from Vexillia.

      It was an intriguing Siege, essentially a large artillary duel for much of it (much to the discomfort of the Duke of Salisbury!). I'd be interested to see you take up the 100yw gauntlet, perhaps one day...

      Delete
  2. The coats of arms on these look great Tom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Oli - I should add that the coats of arms were molded into the miniature! It was still challenging getting them to look right, but that's my painting skills for you.

      Delete
  3. Excellent stuff your Royal Highness :) Lovely work on those command bases!

    I've just come across your blog via Camisado's (Oli's) Blog and I'm impressed. I've added your blog to my list of "Blogs I follow" on my Just Add Water blog (link below).

    Keep up the goodly work!

    http://justaddwater-bedford.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete